Dental implants in New Braunfels offer a chance at full restoration of your missing teeth and a better life overall. But implants by themselves aren’t enough. Enjoying lasting oral health requires all of us to practice good dental care habits. This in turn means knowing what factors can put you at special risk for tooth and gum disease. Let’s look at some.
You’re More Likely to Suffer Tooth Loss If…
Common risk factors include:
- Age. Most people who suffer from tooth loss are 35 years old or older.
- Gender. On average, males are more likely than females to suffer from tooth decay or gum disease.
- Lack of professional care. Skipping dentist visits can lead to lost teeth.
- Diabetes. Diabetics are at greater risk of developing tooth-related issues than non-diabetics.
- Hypertension. Those who have trouble controlling their blood pressure are at heightened risk for tooth loss.
- Arthritis. This is especially true for people who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis.
Does any of this sound like you? If so, then don’t despair. You can improve your chances of enjoying good dental health by following your doctor’s recommendations for diet and exercise and taking your medications as prescribed. However, there is one variable that affects your teeth and gums more than any other. The good news is that it’s entirely under your control.
The best way to prevent tooth loss is by following these proven guidelines:
- Brush after each meal. Use a name-brand fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristle brush to enjoy the best results.
- Floss at least once daily. Floss strings are available in a variety of widths to match your oral profile. Do you find flossing uncomfortable? Using a waxed brand can help to put you at ease.
- Use a name-brand mouthwash or dental rinse. Not only can this help to prevent bad breath, it adds an extra layer of protection for your teeth and gums.
- Avoid tobacco. Cigarettes, chewing tobacco and similar products can have devastating effects on both your teeth and your overall health. The time to quit is now. Ask your healthcare professional about new medicines that can help you to manage withdrawal symptoms.
- Limit your consumption of sugars and starches. Both types of food can promote the spread of harmful bacteria throughout your mouth. Try fresh fruit or sugar-free treats as a tooth-friendly alternative.
Can’t Afford Dental Visits? Help Is Available
While self-care is essential, ensuring good dental health does require regular visits for checkups and cleanings. Fortunately, you’ll find resources in and around New Braunfels to help with the attendant costs. Options include free or low-cost care and financial assistance for those who need dentures in New Braunfels. Check online for more information or contact a community volunteer.
Dental implants are a great option for people who are suffering from missing teeth. But getting the most value from implant therapy means doing your part to keep your teeth and gums healthy. The small amount of time and effort you put forth will pay for itself many times over.
About the Author
Doctor David Ernest earned his DDS degree from the University of Texas before opening Comal Dental Clinic in 2013. You can reach his office online or by calling (830) 625-1515.