If you are missing one or more teeth, you can join over 500,000 people this year who are choosing to complete their smile with a reliable solution. Dental implants in New Braunfels allow you to enjoy the next best thing to your real teeth. Unlike other dental prosthetics, they do not just replace the crown. Instead, they treat the entire structure of your tooth to invest in your oral health and your quality of life. Although they are not subject to decay, you must care for your dental implants each day to ensure your new smile lasts.
Caring for Dental Implants
Dental implants have over a 95% 10-year success rate. While it is rare, implant failure can occur. The biggest threat to their longevity involves a preventable infection called peri-implantitis. It is an infection that results from plaque and tartar accumulations, which is why it is vital to maintain your oral hygiene.
Besides caring for any remaining natural teeth, you must also take the time to clean your dental implants daily. There are some important tips to keep in mind to make the most of your oral hygiene routine.
- Brush your teeth and your restorations twice a day using a soft-bristled toothbrush for at least 2 minutes per session.
- Use a non-abrasive toothbrush to prevent scratches from developing on your crowns.
- Carefully brush under and around the implant crown.
- Use a nylon-coated dental brush to clean spaces your toothbrush cannot clean.
- Use a high-quality dental floss to clean around the abutments, posts, and in between your natural teeth.
- Consider using an oral irrigator.
- Use an antimicrobial mouthrinse if brushing and flossing are not enough.
- Remove your denture for at least 1 hour per day to allow your tissue to rest.
- Brush your denture with a soft toothbrush every night.
- Brush your implant posts with a toothbrush and nonabrasive toothpaste.
- Brush your tongue to remove trapped bacteria and food particles.
- Soak your denture in a cleaner at least once a week.
- Check your O-rings or locator caps regularly for wear and tear.
Besides your home oral hygiene habits, it is best to see your implant dentist in New Braunfels at least twice a year for a cleaning and checkup. If you develop any complications in between your appointments, like inflamed gum tissue, pain, or feeling the implant is loose, do not wait to call your dentist.
Enjoy a Lasting Smile
You can invest in your quality of life with a solution that can last for decades. Make sure your new smile thrives by caring for it properly every day.
About Dr. David Earnest
Dr. David Earnest strives to provide world-class dental care using the latest innovations in dentistry. In addition to general services, he also offers many areas of specialty, including dental implants. Dr. Earnest can help you replace your missing teeth using an option that mimics your natural ones. Contact Comal Dental today to schedule your consultation for dental implants.